Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Really?: A Review of A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan

This book was on everyone's top-ten list and has won a ton of major awards.  My response to this after reading the book is "Really?"  It's not that it's a bad book; it's just that it didn't seem to me to be all that great.  In all fairness, I was listening to Freedom by Jonathan Franzen while I was reading the book.  I found myself confusing characters from the two novels.  Of course, Freedom was a critic's darling too.

I suppose the PowerPoint chapter which tells the story via a number of charts and graphs is different, but the rest of the novel was not that impressive to me.  The apparent theme, that time catches up with all of us, is nothing new.  The writing style is pleasant, but not impressive.  Overall, I guess I have to say I just don't understand what all of the fuss was about.

No comments:

Post a Comment