Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Killer: An Alex Delaware Novel by Jonathan Kellerman



Back in the day, when Joantahan Kellerman and I were both much younger, I was an Alex Delaware addict.  I read every book Kellerman published as soon as it came out.  Something happened along the way, maybe my doctoral program, and I stopped reading Alex Delaware books.  So reading Killer was like coming back after many years abroad and finding friends to be much as I left them.

In this novel,  Alex is asked to make a recommendation in a child custody case.  As his court-related cases go, this one seems pretty simple.  That is, it does until people related to the case start turning up dead. Alex becomes part of the investigation into these murders, partly at the bequest of his friend, detective Milo Sturgis, and partly on his own accord.

The plot in this one seems a bit of a stretch.  The killer turns out to be someone only briefly mentioned earlier in the book.  Still, it is a satisfying read.  Who else but Kellerman could describe a character this way: "a skinny face and tired features gave him the look of a tired vulture."

I am going to go back and read the Kellerman novels I have missed over the past few years.  His characters and his style make up for any thin spots in plotting.

No comments:

Post a Comment